The Fassmer shipyard in northern Germany commissioned us to reduce the structural weight of a hybrid boat that can be used either as a tender or as a lifeboat. The aim was to achieve simpler and more cost-effective production and save resources while maintaining the same quality, i.e. constant strength and stiffness.
In addition, certification and production documents were to be prepared and submitted to the shipyard.
The challenges and solutions in detail
- Severe limitations in the design of the structure due to the given boundary conditions in connection with the manufacturing process.
- The given geometry could not be altered at will due to various specifications and regulations.
- Due to the direct impact on human life in emergency situations, strict requirements applied to the structural integrity of the boat.
- Consideration of the increased complexity due to a new type of movable roof structure.
- High demands in particular on the implementation of optimisation in order to obtain a solution that is readily manufacturable.
- The structural weight was to be minimised in order to save building time and costs. The stiffness and strength of the boat were used as design parameters to verify the quality of the results.
The following competences at ar engineers led to success in this project:
- High expertise in the design and realisation of small fibre-composite boats.
- Very good understanding of fibre-composite materials in boat and ship building.
- Experienced eye on the feasibility of the components despite complex laminate layups.
- Extensive know-how for numerical optimisation with Ansys.
- Development and use of automated simulation and result evaluation in order to be able to react quickly to changing requirements from the customer.
- Our direct and frequent consultations with the customer enabled the project to run smoothly.
Our experience in handling complex projects coupled with our lightweight design expertise and knowledge of automated numerical optimisation helped us to meet our client’s requirements in the best possible way while meeting tight timelines and budgets.
Customer quotes – their goals reached more easily.
With the increasing focus on sustainability, lightweight solutions are also becoming increasingly important in ship and boat building. ar engineers supports us in meeting these requirements and maximising the potential of our products to be designed in a lightweight way. This strengthens our market position and makes our products lighter, safer and more environmentally friendly.
Jan Henkel, Fr. Fassmer GmbH & Co. KG
Vice President Fassmer Maritime