The world we live in is characterised by rapid change and the challenges that come with it. This development certainly affects your industry as well – new products need to be developed within the shortest possible time, costs ideally need to drop while quality remains the same, and please do so while saving weight and resources simultaneously. It’s quite difficult to always do justice to this. But the answer is quite simple – keep it light.
You heard right. Keep it light! Thanks to our cross-industry expertise in lightweight design, we can offer you exactly the innovative solutions that will help you develop and produce a product in a way that is faster, lighter, more resource-efficient and more durable.
How do we lighten your load?
- High-end engineering solutions in the field of lightweight design and composites
- Combining state-of-the-art methods and tools
- Holistic service, from concept to quality assurance in production
- Innovative solutions – inspired by interdisciplinary and intersectoral experience
- Use of our network of research and industry partners
In which disciplines can you use our lightweight design expertise?
Thanks to our many years of experience in the field of composites, we know that fibre composites are more than just an alternative to metallic materials. They are often simply the better solution when it comes to using the advantages of lightweight design across all industries. This is due to the many positive properties that these materials can also offer you, such as:
- High stiffness and/or strength at low density
- Good fatigue behaviour of fibre composite laminates
- Very low thermal expansion behaviour
- The highest level of corrosion resistance as well as resistance to many chemical substances
How does our expertise help you make the most of the advantages of these materials?
Focus on lightweight design Expertise:
Highly qualified engineers from the fields of boatbuilding and aerospace engineering who have successfully implemented lightweight design solutions in approx. 150 projects.
Well thought-out solutions:
By simulating composite structures using innovative calculation tools and optimising components using state-of-the-art methods and tools, the potential of these materials is fully exploited.
Extensive experience in the realisation of manufacturing projects:
Recognition and consideration of manufacturing challenges as early as in the concept phase, on-site support of the production process if desired.
Reference projects in the discipline of composites
For us, lightweight design means enabling maximum weight savings for our customers in structures subject to high loads while maintaining stiffness and safety, or maximising structural performance with identical weight. Simulation plays an important role in these development processes:
- Accelerated product development with simultaneous reduction of costs through numerical simulation
- Reliable verification of component safety
- Fastest possible design of the most efficient structure according to requirements
Why should you work with us in the area of simulation?
Simulation-driven component development using the finite element method (FEM) has been part of our DNA for over 12 years.
Very broad range of services:
We perform simulations for you to conduct analyses for linear and non-linear statics, vibration, fracture mechanics and dynamic problems – implicit and explicit – such as crash and impact situations.
In addition to market-leading simulation tools, we develop our own innovative calculation tools that support your product development in the best possible way.
Reference projects in the discipline of simulation
The discipline of optimisation is inextricably linked to the topic of lightweight design. Therefore, the optimisation of structures is our major discipline in order to develop the best possible lightweight solution for our customers. For us, the process of optimisation includes the following aspects:
- Consideration of the prevailing requirements and boundary conditions
- Finding the optimal, target-oriented trade-off between the parameters: weight, stiffness, strength, complexity, production costs and material costs.
- Minimising the use of materials for maximum resource savings
What are the benefits of optimisation by us?
Maximum utilisation of lightweight design potential:
Use of the latest tools and methods for shape optimisation, size optimisation, topology optimisation and layup optimisation in the area of composites.
Wide range of applications:
Exploitation of the potential for lightweight design for existing individual components extending to completely new developments.
Perfect combination of areas of expertise:
To optimise your components, we make the best possible use of our strengths: extensive experience, know-how in structural mechanics and the simulation power of our software and hardware.
Reference projects in the discipline of optimisation